The first version of the little game has a lot of issues with it. I asked a few people to try playing it and to identify issues that I've been blind to.
Fresh eyes are so very helpful!
Here is my current To-Do list:
Fix the problem of particles flying off, out of bounds. Might be able to set a max-velocity, which would help with this.
- Virus velocity now capped, in shrinkBugs() function. So far, it seems to be helping. Needs more testing
Change code that tests if player has smashed all the bugs and triggers win before timer expires Might not have to do this, if changing velocity limits helps avoid fly-off particles Seems to be fixed by velocity capping. Needs more testingStill improving this. Capping velocity helped, and so did making the 'walls' thicker.
- Prevent UI elements (timing text) from interacting with dragged objects.
- "Overall the game feels playable but too easy for me. To make it more
fun, a usual approach is to add more kinds of 'meds' and 'virus'"
- Will be making game more challenging, once I get all the physics and game-engine worked out.
- A hint at one way it may get more difficult is in level 4: the orange blob will become more aggressive about 'stealing' meds.
- "If 'meds' is dragged to outside of the game screen, 'meds' starts
flicking. This can be solved by manually calculate a corrected mouse position that is inside the screen. Alternatively, you can also try to make the joint between 'meds' and mouse less rigid, by using a joint of more like a spring"
- I'm going to have to research this a bit. There may be an easy fix in the library. Just have to find it.
"The 'virus' seems to be modeled by a square shape. You can perhaps try out circle shapes for them, since the 'virus' is round"
- I've tried them as 'circles' and square base shapes. When they're circles, they roll around too much. I'm still experimenting with it, so may change back to circle eventually.
Make 'meds' shrink, and not just fade, when hit by orange blob in level 4.
- Had problem with the sprite shrinking, but not the 'hit area'. Fixed this by changing body.scale as well as the sprite's scale
Stop bugs from multiplying after level ends.
- Make text bigger on button.
- Make celebratory animations for when you win the last level, and maybe for lower levels too.
Make canvas scale to viewbox, and mobile friendly.
- Done. But haven't yet set 'mobile friendly' on the game settings (04/23/20)
Smash-a-rona Game Play in browser
Apr 19, 2020